So you are planning to make meatloaf for dinner tonight?
There is a question that I have received several times from ambitious home cooks:
What is the Cooking Time for Meatloaf? or How long do you cook meatloaf in the oven?
So I decided to dedicate an entire post that includes instructions along with delicious recipe that will answer the above question. I have also included a few videos that covers a few other methods for cooking meatloaf.
This is a very common question, but it really does depend on how many pounds your meatloaf is and the temperature at which you are cooking it.
Meatloaf, when prepared the right way, is a delicious dish. It should be firm, but juicy and should not break apart when you slice it.
In this post, I will provide you with a wonderful recipe and instructions for cooking the best meatloaf you will ever sink your teeth into.
Meatloaf is usually cooked two different ways: either in a bread pan or on a cookie sheet.
The bread will give you a juicer meatloaf and is much easier to prepare as the meat takes the shape of the bread pan.
The cookie sheet method will not be as juicy and you will have to put a little more effort into shaping the meatloaf and get your hands dirty.
I like to cook my meatloaf Italian Style. This is the way my Grandmother made it and she passed her recipe on to my Mother, and my Mother passed it on to me. It is by far the best meatloaf recipe in my opinion. It is much more flavorful then your basic meatloaf recipe.
SIMPLE ITALIAN STYLE MEATLOAF RECIPE
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 7 ounce jar roasted red peppers chopped
1 onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 cup of bread crumbs
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 cups of prepared tomato sauce
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Heat a medium sized saute pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add your onion and garlic and saute until soft. Remove and set it aside on a plate to cool.
3. Grab yourself a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the cooled onions and garlic along with the the rest of your ingredients, except the tomato sauce, and combine. Mix together well with your hands and form into a loaf and add it to an oiled oven safe tray. Top the loaf with 1 cup of the prepared tomato sauce. Make certain that you spread the tomato sauce evenly over the top of the loaf.
5. Bake for about 1 hour or when the internal temperature of the meatloaf reaches 160 degrees F. Remove from the oven and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Slice it up and serve.
Heat the remaining tomato sauce if desired and use for dipping….